Summer is in full swing, and air conditioning repairs are probably the last thing on your mind. Unfortunately, sometimes our AC systems simply stop working at the worst possible moment. When you notice that your home is getting warmer instead of cooler, you want a solution fast! Even waiting the short amount of time for one of our AC repair technicians to arrive can seem like an eternity. Luckily, there are some steps that you can take to try to get your air conditioning running again.
Checking the Plug and Breaker
Our technicians have worked with many South Tampa homeowners who are stressed about the cost of air conditioning repairs after their cooling systems stop working. Luckily our technicians were able to quickly identify and fix the problem. In many cases the plug on the unit was dislodged from the receptacle or something had tripped the circuit breaker. Checking the plug and breaker may fix the problem with your cooling system. Before you call a technician for AC repair, check the following:
- Make sure that the unit is plugged into the outlet. Make sure that the unit is plugged into the outlet. We also recommend that you check the receptacle to make sure that the holding screw is not loose.
- Check the cord to the AC unit. If you notice any cuts, tears or other damage, you may need to have the power cord replaced.
- Plug another appliance or lawn tool into the outlet to make sure the power is reaching the receptacle.
- Check your circuit breaker box for any tripped breakers. If none of the circuits are tripped, you should flip the circuit for the AC unit on and off.
Warm Air May Not Require Professional AC Repair
Your home may feel warm during the summer for a variety of reasons, some of which do not require air conditioning repair services. You can do a little investigating on your own to see if you can find the reason that your home is not cool.
- Check for open doors and windows as well as weather stripping that allow cool air to escape outside and warm air to come inside.
- Check around the unit for any debris, tools, toys and other items. If you find debris or dirt on the outside of the unit, clean it off with a soft brush. Clear at least three feet of space from around the unit, including any weeds, plants and household items. Your AC system needs this amount of space for proper air flow. Do not try to open the unit to clean inside. If you believe that your cooling system needs more intensive cleaning, contact And Services to schedule professional AC maintenance
- Make sure the filter is not clogged or dirty. If the filter needs to be replaced, we can recommend the right type of filter for your home and AC system.
- Check the thermostat to make sure that the unit is set to “cool” and not “fan.” Sometimes the setting can be changed accidentally when you adjust the temperature. You should also verify that the correct temperature setting has been used.
Do I Need Air Conditioning Repair?
If you take these steps and your AC is still not working properly, we will send a technician right over. The air conditioning system may just need some simple repairs or a little professional maintenance. If the repairs are more extensive or if you need a new cooling system, our technician will discuss our air conditioning replacement services.